As we gear up for the 2021 holiday season, there are several trends and insights that are shaping this shopping season ahead.
- Competition is high this year, driven by changing consumer behaviors and increasing advertiser demand.
- Shoppers have started early this year — as seen in both survey and search data.
- Gift Cards, Buy-Online and Pick-up In-Store (BOPIS), Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL), and Sustainability will be key trends this Holiday season.
- Categories that rose or fell due to shelter-in-place have reversed trends.
- Advertisers are seeing incremental lift in site visits and conversion rates when reaching users across both Search and Native.
In this report, Microsoft Advertising looks at overall search trends in the retail industry. We also provide a 3-year comparison by reflecting on 2019 and 2020 holiday season retail trends, through to providing a look-ahead for the 2021 holiday season. Finally, we share Microsoft Advertising audience insights and provide information about how Microsoft Advertising can help you drive a successful holiday 2021 campaign.