IMPORTANT NOTE: This post was published several months ago; the information contained in it may no longer be accurate. For the most current information on this topic, please visit the most recent blog post or the Help file.
As recently announced, Universal Event Tracking is a powerful new way to track your sites’ activities in Bing Ads. For those of you familiar with the tagging, this article details specific steps for implementing Universal Event Tracking Tag with common tag management solutions: Google Tag Manager, Adobe Dynamic Tag Management, and Qubit Opentag.
I. Using Bing Ads Universal Event Tracking Tag with Google Tag Manager
1. Sign in to Google Tag Manger with your credentials
2. Click on the account which contains the tag container you want to use. Setup a new Account in Google Tag Manager if you do not have an account already.
3. Click on the container in which you want to add Bing Ads Tag. The container should be setup for use in web pages. (This can be done at the container creation time by selecting “Web Pages” for “Where to User Container” option.) Setup a new Container if you do not have the container created already.
4. Click on “New” and then on “Tag”
5. Enter the new Tag Name
6. Select “Custom HTML Tag” as the “Tag Type” from the drop down menu
7. Paste the Bing Ads UET tag that you get from Bing Ads UI in the “HTML” section
8. Add Firing Rules for the newly created Tag as appropriate and “Save.” (Example: Pre-existing rule is fire on all pages, which can be added as the firing rule for this tag).
9. Click “Save” to save the Tag
10. If it is a new Container tag then below are the step to instrument Container Tag to Advertiser site:
a. Click on “Admin”
b. Click on “Install GTM”
c. Copy and paste the Google Container Snippet immediately after the opening <body> tag on every page on the site. Please ensure to remove Bing Ads tags from the pages if they already exists
11. Test the container tag by clicking on “Preview”. This puts the browser in preview mode, wherein container tag instrumented site is run with the updated code. It is also possible to enable debugging by clicking on “debug”. This will bring up a console window at the bottom of the browser showing the status of the tags (e.g. fired, not fired) in the container. See the following for details:
- GTM Setup and Workflow HERE.
- GTM Previewing and Debugging HERE.
12. On the left navigation, go to Version à Overview, then select the version saved when previewing the site. Click “Publish” to publish the Tag Container.
II. Using Bing Ads Universal Event Tracking Tag with Adobe Dynamic Tag Management
Here are the steps:
1. Login to Adobe Dynamic Tag Management with your credentials and click the Web Property (site) that you want to use with UET
2. If you have not already embedded the Adobe DTM header and footer code, please do so under the “Embed” tab
3. Navigate to the “Rules” tab and either edit a rule or click create a new rule (pictured). UET works best on Page Load
5. Click “Add New Script” and do the following:
a. Important: select type “Non-sequential HTML”, since the <script> tags are included in the copy-paste from Bing Ads
b. Paste the UET tag in the script section
c. Click on the “Save Code” button
6. Confirm your tag has been added and click Save Rule
7. Under the “Approvals” tab, double-check that the change is as expected and click “Approve”
8. Confirm again that you want to add the rule, and you’re all done!
III. Using Bing Ads Universal Event Tracking Tag with Qubit Opentag
Here are the steps:
1. Log in to Qubit Opentag with your credentials
2. Click “+Add New Script” button associated with the container where you want to add Bing Ads Universal Event Tracking tag. Setup a new Container if you do not have the container created already
3. On “Add New Script” form, do the following:
a. Select “Custom Script” as “Script Type”
b. Select “HTML” as “Script Source”
c. Paste the UET tag in “Inline HTML” section
d. Select “End of <head> as “Script Location”
e. Cookie Consent is not required so leave the “Cookie Consent” section as is
f. There is no need to make changes in “Advanced Features” section for UET tag. However, if you want to customize make the changes as required.
g. Click on the “Save Script” button
4. Click “Commit” button corresponding to the Container to commit the changes
5. To confirm committing in the “Committing to CDN” dialog box, type “COMMIT” and click on “Commit Container” button
6. Below message will appear, along with Qubit Opentag code. Copy/paste the code on your webpages.
For more information about implementing Universal Event Tracking, we invite you to visit the following:
Comments? Questions? Please leave them below, visit our Feature Suggestion Forum, or reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook.