The Bing Ads team has been continuously working to improve your Product Ads
experience. We’ve been testing the Merchant Promotions extension for Bing Shopping Campaigns as a limited pilot on Bing since September. By using Merchant Promotions, you can help to grow ad engagement and boost your potential click-through rate by providing shoppers with more information before they click, and help your ad stand out from your competition.
Thanks to our participating customers who helped refine and shape the user experience, today we’re thrilled to announce that Merchant Promotions will now be available to everyone in the U.S.!
If you’re interested in using Merchant Promotions on Bing, please fill out the interest form
and we’ll get back to you within three to four business days.
What are Merchant Promotions?
Merchant Promotions appear in Product Ads as special offers (clickable links) within the shopping ad box in the search results. They allow you to promote deals and special offers that pertain to certain products or are site-wide in your store, to help you stand out either with or without a promotion code.
As you can see from the example below, Contoso’s ad copy stands out from the competition with the eye-catching promotion. Although the offer is simple and many sites have such deals running at any given time, Contoso gets a leg up by promoting the offer on Bing.
Why should you use Merchant Promotions?
If you’re a retailer, you probably already have promotions or deals running. If so, using Merchant Promotions to promote these sales directly on Bing makes perfect sense. Even before searchers click the special offer link, Merchant Promotions can help draw customers because the extensions are eye-catching and describe promotions or sales, which have historically attracted buyers to stores.
The actual offer can be as simple as free shipping, or it can reflect a more complex deal outlined on your site. In addition, the expiration date creates a sense of urgency for the customer. By using Merchant Promotions, you can:
- Help to increase traffic volume
Adding special offers to your ads can grow ad engagement and boost your potential click-through rate.
- Get more-informed shoppers
Promotions will be displayed prior to the shoppers’ click and provide them more information before they click.
- Help to improve market share
Special offers can encourage shoppers to click your ad instead of your competition.
Setting up Merchant Promotions
You can create a promotion in three easy steps:
- Click the Promotions tab (will be visible once you’re approved for the program).
- Click Create promotion and enter the details of the promotion.
- Click Save and you’re done!
You can find step-by-step instructions on our Help page
You can add Merchant Promotions using the web user interface in Bing Merchant Center or by uploading a promotion file.
Please keep in mind:
- If the promotion doesn't apply to all products, be sure to map the promotion ID to the correct set of products in the master feed.
- The promotion's date and time are based on your (advertiser’s) local time zone. Keep this in mind if you want to have the promotion in any other time zone.
- Once you’ve set these up, you can use the Click type column along with the Ad element total clicks column in the product partition and product dimension reports to measure the performance and evaluate the uplift (for example, how many clicks are Merchant Promotions influencing on your ad copy).
Don’t total the impressions column once you add the Click Type column as that segments the data and you won’t get an accurate measurement.
Connect with us
We're always looking for feedback on how we can improve Bing Shopping Campaigns to help you do more and work less. We invite you to contact us via Twitter
, suggest a feature in the Bing Ads Feature Suggestion Forum
, or send us an email with your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org