Today, we are officially announcing that on July 31st, 2017, Bing Ads will end support for creating new and editing existing STAs. To help with the transition to expanded text ads, Bing Ads recently made changes to easily convert standard text ad (STA) to expanded text ad (EXTA) via Bing Ads Web UI and Bing Ads Editor. Since the launch of EXTAs, there has been a great adoption of this new ad format across many of our customers globally and it continues to grow.
After July 31st, Bing Ads customers will only be able to create and edit EXTAs, but it is important to note that all your existing standard text ads will continue to serve alongside expanded text ads for the foreseeable future. While there is no date on when STA’s will stop serving, you can expect an update to all of our customers well in advance once we make the decision to sunset serving STAs.
To better prepare for the STAs changes on July 31st, here are some best practices to help improve implementation and increase performance of your EXTAs:
- Create EXTAs within existing campaigns and ad groups along current STAs
- Use Standard Text Ads as a baseline to measure how well Expanded Text Ads are performing
- Create a 1:1 ratio of EXTA to STA ads in each ad group to maximize EXTA impressions
- Helps avoid impression and click loss while testing EXTAs
- Assures that EXTAs inherit all ad extensions and other set ups from the existing STAs
- Once you are confident in the Expanded Text Ads performance, customers can move to 100% adoption, and delete their STAs
- Take full advantage of the additional character limits
- Use your best performing STA copy as a starting point when creating EXTAs
- Experiment with messaging (try different length combinations)
- Remember that headlines are important. Longer headlines help increase the visual space of text ads and help communicate additional information to searchers
- Think about using content such as domain, display, description, query in ad title 2
In addition, here are tips for optimizing your EXTAs:
- Review your ad extensions to ensure that they have fresh, differentiated content from your expanded headlines
- Add your brand in the headline for trust
- The clearer and more specific your offering, the better. For example, rather than "big discounts," specify an exact percentage, such as "50% off.”
Let us know your thoughts on Expanded Text Ads
For any questions or feedback regarding Expanded Text Ads, you can reach out to your Bing Ads account manager, or directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.