Happy Earth Day to all! We’re pleased to share an update on our sustainability commitment of planting 250,000 trees in 2020, by highlighting some of the amazing ways our clients, partners and employees are supporting a greener future, and additional ways you can get involved.
We’ve aligned our effort with Microsoft’s sustainability commitment announced in January 2020 to get to Carbon Negative by 2030
. Last week, Microsoft announced
the second step in our sustainability efforts for 2020, focusing on preserving and protecting the biodiversity and health of the world’s ecosystems. While COVID-19 has upended daily life for almost all of us, sustainability issues have become no less urgent or important. We’ll continue to work towards our goal of planting 250,000 trees in 2020 on behalf of our clients, and with support from our partners and employees.
Over 136,500 trees have been planted to date!
- We planted 20,000 trees on behalf of our Global Partners that tuned in to Microsoft Advertising Elevate.
- Clients who attended our SMX West Event contributed 400 trees to our goal. From one of the attendees, Ashley Segura, VP of Global Operations from TopHatRank, “Yes! I love seeing environmentally friendly initiatives instead of just more swag!”
- Newsletter subscribers clicked their way to more than 10,000 trees.
- New Microsoft Advertising Certified Professionals contributed 3,500 trees.
- Our Dublin sales team went out on a very wet and windy day to contribute to the more than 18,000 trees already planted.
- UK based agency, Impression, and more than 350 others, contributed more than 35,000 trees through their participation in the global Microsoft Advertising Get to Green contest.
- We planted 10,000 trees on behalf of our participants who attended our annual customer event, Discovery Days in Dublin on 30th January, instead of giving out swag.
- 5,000 trees were planted on behalf of all who visited our booth at DMXCO, a major digital marketing conference in Cologne where we exhibited in September last year.
- 5,000 trees were planted on behalf of attendees at our New York Microsoft Advertising Master Class.
- 10,000 trees were planted to celebrate winners of our Regional Partner awards, our annual award ceremony to recognise the great work of our Europe and APAC Elite and Select Partners
Become a Sustainability Champion
In recognition of our sustainability champions, we have created a Microsoft Advertising Sustainability Champion badge! Check out these Sustainability Champions — in the UK, Broadplace Advertising
, and in Spain, RocketROI
. Thank you for helping us progress toward our goal of planting 250,000 trees in 2020. Get your badge by participating in our sustainability activities.
How to have trees planted on your behalf
Below are some ways you can have trees planted on your behalf and become a Sustainability Champion. When you participate in any of these activities, you can download the Champion badge and share through social media.
In honour of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, between now and 30 April, share this blog using #MSFTAds, and we'll plant 50 trees for every mention (up to 5,000 trees). And if you subscribe to the new MSA Insider newsletter
we’ll increase the number of trees planted from 10 to 50 (up to 25,000 trees).
More ways to participate:
- Subscribe to the Microsoft Advertising Insider to get our bi-weekly newsletter full of product news, insights, and more. We’ll have a tree planted for every sign up.
- Share your support on social media. Find us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter where we'll share monthly tips to support a more sustainable environment.
- When you implement any of these tips, or perform one of your own, share on social media with #MicrosoftForEarth, and #MSFTAds will plant a tree for every post.
- We'll also plant a tree each time this blog post is shared or re-tweeted from our social handles.
- Learn how to get the most of your ad spend by becoming a Microsoft Advertising Certified Professional, and we'll plant a tree on your behalf.
- Work with your Microsoft Account Team to participate in the Get to Green Feature Adoption contest and we’ll plant 100 trees on behalf of your organisation.
How, why and where we are planting 250,000 trees
A key part of Microsoft's culture is to empower employees to give back to and be active in programs that benefit our global and local communities. Microsoft Advertising has teamed up with our syndication partner, Ecosia, to plant trees on behalf of our clients. Ecosia puts its profits from searches toward planting trees. We’re thrilled to work with Ecosia to support tree planting in the following locations:
- The Jane Goodall Institute to reforest wild chimpanzees’ habitat in Uganda
- Turning deserts back into forests in Burkina Faso
- Reforestation in Brazil
Bookmark the Microsoft Advertising blog
where we'll continue to share more details, and new activities and ways you can participate.
Thank you for being a part of creating a greener 2020 one tree at a time and helping us reach our 250,000-tree planting goal!