IMPORTANT NOTE: This post was published several months ago; the information contained in it may no longer be accurate. For the most current information on this topic, please visit the most recent blog post or the Help file.
We are pleased to announce the general availability of Universal Event Tracking (UET) to our advertisers worldwide. UET provides a simple yet powerful way to define and track goals (performance/conversion) that are important for your business. With UET you can associate the success of these goals with your advertising campaigns across accounts, ad campaigns and devices. It allows you, the advertiser, to learn:
- Which ad campaigns are most effective based on conversion goals.
- Which keywords better lead to conversions and lower bounce rates.
- What is the return on investment of your advertising dollars.
- Which customer segments convert better and are more valuable.
- What type of engagement (e.g. bounce rate, pages per visit, duration per visit) your keywords have on your site.
In addition, UET lays the groundwork necessary for audience based remarketing scenarios (coming soon!) such as bid boosting by providing the ability to define custom audience segments and specifically target them.
Universal Event Tracking also replaces the current Campaign Analytics conversion tracking offering. Most of the existing tags created through Campaign Analytics will continue to work and we will continue to report on them. However, tags created prior to July 2013 will stop being supported in April 2015. While current tags will continue to work, they will be read only in Campaign Analytics and any new tags will have to be created with the new tool starting today.
How does UET work?
UET works by placing a small snippet of code (often referred to as a tracking code or tag) on the pages of your website. This code collects and sends data to Bing Ads every time the web page is loaded in the browser. Bing Ads analyses and aggregates this data to provide insights and determines if and when a goal has been met. When a goal is met, Bing Ads will report on it. We follow the last click attribution model for attributing conversions to specific keyword clicks. Any previous click during the conversion window is counted as an assist.
Defining Goals within UET
Goals provide a way to measure and track your site’s business objectives and performance. You can set up goals to track and measure just about anything. For example, transactions and purchase activity; user acquisition via sign-ups; inquiries by contacting help, sending an email, live chat etc.; user engagement via amount of time spent on the site, sharing activity, leaving comments and more.
UET supports four different types of goals that will help you in tracking and measuring your objectives.
Why you should implement
- Simple. Use one tag for all your campaigns and accounts. Advertisers will save time and effort by implementing just one tag that tracks and measures all your goals and audience segments (for audience based buying scenarios such as remarketing). As opposed to a tag for every goal, UET tags are site wide and decoupled from specific goal or audience segment.
- Powerful. UET allows you to track any kind of business objective (from click level to the page load level) with the support of four different types of goals.
- Cross campaigns, cross accounts attribution. Attribution of goals across all your campaigns and accounts allows you to better understand which campaigns drive conversions and how they work together.
- Track conversions across devices. In a world where users are using multiple devices in a day to accomplish their tasks, a “conversion” may not occur on the same device where they saw your ad. UET tracks conversions across devices when we know that devices belong to the same user.
- Enhanced insights. Since we collect data across the site and not from the specific conversion pages, we are able to attribute traffic on your site to your campaigns and report on engagement statistics such as average duration/visit, bounce rates, average pages/visit on per keyword basis.
- Works seamlessly with major tag management systems: Our tags are tested out of the box with major tag management systems such as Google Tag Manager, Adobe Tag Manager, Tealium, QuBit, Signal Digital and Ensighten to make sure they work!
Here are some links to help you get started:
Building upon the release of UET, we shall soon be following up with audience based remarketing in the coming months!
Comments? Questions? Please leave them below, visit our Feature Suggestion Forum, or ping us @BingAds.
Thanks for reading!
- NOTE: The information contained on this page is intended for agencies and advertisers that are self-managed or supported by Microsoft. If you are an agency or advertiser managed by Yahoo, please contact your account representative about Dot, Yahoo’s tag, which includes and supports the functionality of Bing Ads’ Universal Event Tracking.