As a baseball fan, one of my favorite quotes is, “You owe it to be the best you can be.” This is true not only for the game or in life, but also in business – and everyone here at Bing Ads knows that it’s our responsibility to provide our customers and partners who use our tools and solutions with better insights and greater efficiencies daily. We’re not successful unless our advertisers and their businesses are more successful when using Bing Ads.
With our customers’ success and feedback as our north star, our team has been laser focused on improving specific aspects of the Bing Ads product and tools. We listened to our customers and asked what they needed to reach their business goals. This feedback, combined with other industry driving forces, brought us to where we are today — an improved search advertising platform from every angle — and the industry is taking notice.
We’ve engaged with customers at dozens of product advisory groups around the world. We've met with countless agencies and advertisers, large and small, to better understand their day-to-day challenges. The team sought and digested feedback via our Bing Ads User Voice forum, social media channels and comments on our blog posts. We have been paying close attention, and here’s what our customers had to say:
- Customers wanted Bing Ads to be simpler and faster
- They wanted insights and data that would give them a sustainable competitive advantage
- Bing Ads users wanted to have a say in how our product was evolving
Our platform priorities on Bing Ads are driven by customers, so we appreciate the direct feedback that we received from around the globe.
By listening and then prioritizing the most frequent and critical customer requests, we reshaped Bing Ads from top to bottom.
- We created a new look and feel that’s more familiar, easier to navigate
- Nearly everything is faster and more efficient—helping advertisers on Bing Ads get more done
- A new online insertion orders taking less than an hour
- Customers can view up to a million keywords in a single view and pages load up to 2x faster making it easier to get stuff done at BingAds.com
- Bing Ads Editor start-up is also up to 2X faster, while downloading accounts, posting changes and local bulk edits are up to 3X faster
- Performance data is available 700% faster than before – from 4 hours to 30 minutes of your ad being shown
Just as important as making UI and UX improvements, we improved our tools to provide customers with more critical – and actionable – insights:
- Top Mover automatically locates key drivers contributing to account performance variations
- Auction Insights reveals key performance stats for our customers and their competitors
- The new Campaign Planner feature recently launched in the U.S. helps seamlessly identify trends, build forecasts and research industry benchmarks, competitor performance and keyword suggestions
These changes are making a big difference for our customers, like Eric Chromick from Parts Express who told us, “You guys have made some really good improvements over the last 6 months. It’s good to see you guys moving in the right direction.”
And the Industry is Taking Note
These days, we’re not only seeing a great response from customers – with comments like, “This is AMAZING!” and “Much quicker and easier to work with, too!” – We’re also hearing from the industry:
Investing in the needs of our customers has not only paid off in a better experience and results for advertisers, it’s also driving momentum for our business. Based on the most recent quarterly data from IgnitionOne, the Yahoo Bing Network saw its highest share (25%) since Q1 2009, resulting in a 19.3% increase in market share for Q3.
Not surprisingly, mobile devices play a significant role in that growth. According to RKG, smartphones continued to grow at the fastest rate in ad-spend, aided primarily by an increase in clicks. In keeping with this mobile-first trend, IgnitionOne reported Yahoo Bing Network smartphone impressions were up 158%, with tablet impressions gaining an impressive 117%. It’s worth noting that both IgnitionOne and RKG report that mobile devices account for 28 to 33% of overall search-spend. But mobile isn’t the whole story. RKG reported that Yahoo Bing Network has a 19.6% share of all paid clicks; and across all devices, carries the highest desktop share at 20.1%. Perhaps even more exciting, RKG saw a 24% increase in click volume while CPCs remained flat.
We’re happy with the progress the Yahoo Bing Network is making, but we’re by no means done. We look forward to continue to improve and delivering more value for our advertisers, and doing more for their business.
1. RKG/October 2014
2. IgnitionOne – September 2014