The rise of the conscious traveler
June 16, 2021
After months of cabin fever, a strong desire for meaningful and sustainable travel has emerged. And while the impacts of COVID-19 to the industry are still unfolding, travelers have started expressing the desire for more meaningful and sustainable travel experiences.
More meaningful travel
We recently surveyed Microsoft Bing users and discovered that above everything else, vacationers are looking for meaningful reconnection.
- 45% are looking to visit places that they know and love.
- 39% want access to outdoor activities like hiking and camping.
- 26% are interested in museums, art galleries, and other cultural attractions.
More sustainable options
In addition, “Leave no trace” which has long been the mantra of backpackers, is now a growing expectation of travelers worldwide.
- 69% of global travelers expect more sustainable options.
- 67% want their travel choices to support the recovery of the destinations they visit.
- 55% want to see how their spending will go back into supporting local communities.
Introducing Tours and Activities Ads
So how can you reach this new conscious traveler? At Microsoft Advertising, we’ve recently developed a new ad format, unique to our platform, called Tours and Activities Ads. These intent-driven, feed-based ad types, are visually engaging premium placements, which are triggered when people are looking for activities of a particular type in a certain location. Due to their contextual relevancy, they've proven to be highly effective in increasing awareness for advertisers and driving bookings.
Tours and Activities Ads are now available to advertisers in the United States (US) and United Kingdom (UK). Check out some specific examples below.
Bing Travel Guide
What results are advertisers seeing with Tours and Activities Ads?
Initial results from the pilot are impressive:
- A major online travel agency reported a dramatic decrease in their cost per acquisition. In fact, they exceeded their CPA target by 24%.
- An activity booking platform, told us that Tours and Activities Ads outperform the ROAS they’re getting with text ads by more than 16%.
- And when a major tour provider added Tours and Activities Ads to their search strategy, their cost per click (CPC) decreased by 36%.
In fact, all pilot participants are seeing great results. That’s why we’re so excited to invite you to join in the success!
Awesome! How do I get started?
To sign up for the open beta for Tours and Activities Ads, reach out to your Microsoft Advertising rep. If you don’t have one, you can enroll here.
Get more information about Tours and Activities Ads.
Click to enroll