NOTE: Updates have been made to this post to reflect our recent partnership with AOL; content viewed at this URL prior to February 2016 may differ from what you see here now.
Scaling advertisers’ targeting management is a top priority for Bing Ads. In the upcoming Bing Ads Editor 10.4 release, you will find the following four enhancements to help you manage targeting entries with ease and apply them with improved granularity.
- Newly established targeting grid provides a full view of geo-targeting entries within an account for bulk management capability. With this targeting grid, you also can easily verify how targeting settings migrated via Google Import are being applied:
- Enhanced website exclusions tab supports in-line editing/validation, copy/paste functions:
- Enhanced Custom Location (i.e. radius targeting) supports direct entries between 1-500 miles or 1-800 kilometers.
- Starting with this release, Bing Ads will unify your geo and radius targeting entries while screening traffic to provide you with improved flexibility:
In addition to those targeting enhancements, Editor v10.4 also comes with following advancements:
- Improved Sync Progress Bar which shows the steps of GET/POST CHANGES and the progress within each step.
- Streamlined POST CHANGES process, which applies Editor’s changes automatically without conflicts resolution (if conflicting changes exist). You can keep using GET CHANGES/Recent Changes option to verify/solve conflicting changes.
- Duplicated Keywords Finder located at TOOLS/Find Duplicated keywords to help you identify duplicated keyword and negative keyword conflicts with ease:
- Including ad group status in Keywords tab’s “COPY to CSV” output enables you to reference a campaign/ad group’s status while reviewing keywords’ activities:
- Enhanced filter function on the Sync Setting window gives you more flexibility in selecting campaigns to download:
Best Practices to apply these enhancements:
- After using Google Import, check the Targeting tab under the Last Import view to see if there are un-supported targeting entries. The most common errors are caused by city-level targeting in some international markets and zip code location targeting entries which are not directly supported by Bing Ads. The alternatives are applying state/province level targeting (if city level is not available) and applying zip code targeting via radius targeting.
Example: Targeting grid surfaces unsupported targeting entries from Google Import:
- Review Advanced Location option (aka physical intent of your location targeting ) with the Targeting grid. The changes you make will apply to every entry applied to the same campaign/ad group.
- Familiarize yourself with the Website URL (publisher) report, located in the Reports tab, copy the low-performing websites from the report and paste them directly to the Websites Exclusion tab to safeguard your ROI.
When will Bing Ads Editor v10.4 arrive?
- We will keep you posted with our release schedule here on the Bing Ads Blog.
- Upon release, existing Bing Ads Editor users will receive an optional upgrade notice while using Editor. Once it appears, you can follow the upgrade instructions on the spot, or close the notification window to complete current tasks, and initiate the upgrade afterward by clicking Check for Updates under the Help menu. Both existing and new users can download the latest Editor at the designated Microsoft Download site.
Can I adopt the custom location enhancement (i.e. applying radius targeting 1-500 miles or 1-800 kilometers) via Bing Ads web UI?
Yes, this platform level enhancement is available via the Bing Ads web UI as well.
Will my geo and radius targeting entries via the Bing Ads web UI be applied together to screen traffic?
Yes, this platform level enhancement applies to your targeting entries via the Bing Ads web UI as well.
How many geo and radius targeting entries can I enter?
- For geo location targeting, Bing Ads supports up to 255 inclusions and 255 exclusions per campaign/ad group.
- For radius targeting, Bing Ads supports up to 2,000 per campaign/ad group.
Does radius targeting support both positive and negative implementation?
No, radius targeting could only be applied to engage with an audience in a specified area. It could be not be used to block audience in a specific area.
Can I use the Site Exclusions function to block a Bing or Yahoo website?
No, only syndicated search partners’ websites and sites owned and operated by AOL can be excluded.
Questions? Comments, feel free to leave them below or else get in touch via Twitter.