At Microsoft Advertising, we value the privacy rights of our end users and you, our customers, and we strive to uphold the highest data management standards and privacy best practices.
Remarketing is a way for you to engage an audience that has previously visited your website(s). To participate in remarketing, we require you to instrument your website with a Universal Event Tracking (UET) tag, enabling Microsoft to identify end user visits to your site. Microsoft Advertising allows you to segment your audiences by creating remarketing lists based on end user activity on your site(s) and then to optimize your campaigns based on those segments.
Your remarketing lists will be solely used for your paid search campaigns, not shared with any third parties or any other advertisers or partners, and not otherwise used by Microsoft for any purpose not described in this policy.
If you elect to enable remarketing, please be aware of the following policy requirements that apply to your remarketing campaigns. These requirements are in addition to the general requirements put forth in the Microsoft Advertising privacy and data protection policies and Microsoft Advertising Agreement.
- You must not use sensitive data or categories that are otherwise prohibited under applicable laws in creating your remarketing lists. Sensitive data may include, but is not limited to, political affiliation, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, sexually transmitted diseases, mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression, terminal illness, and other diseases.
- Remarketing is not allowed for disallowed content, products, or services.
- Underage users. You must not create a remarketing list, retarget or otherwise profile any individuals under the age of 18, or other applicable age restrictions in the market(s) where you operate. Additionally, you must not target individuals under the minimum age required for the product advertised. For example, you may not target alcohol advertisements to individuals under the applicable minimum drinking age.
- Web properties directed to children. Audience remarketing must not be implemented on sites or applications directed to children under the age of 18, or other applicable age limitations in the market(s) where you operate.
- Tracking tag misuse. Modifying, changing or otherwise tampering with the UET tracking tag and tag script is strictly forbidden, other than for uses expressly authorized by Microsoft. Learn more about UET implementation and usage.
- Precise geo-location on mobile devices. If you elect to pass to Microsoft the precise location of an end user, you must do so only with the end user’s express consent.
- Association of additional personal data. Other than provided above, you may not associate any additional personal data with your remarketing lists or UET tags, or attempt to send this information to Microsoft by any means.
- Third party data providers. Microsoft may elect, from time to time, to work with third party data providers in order to enable the use of third party data in remarketing campaigns for its advertisers. The exchange of personal data between advertisers and data providers, if any, will be handled in accordance to the respective privacy practices of each, as well as the applicable individual agreements which those parties may enter into. Microsoft will not receive any personal data or other inputs as a part of these relationships unless as otherwise provided in this or other applicable policies, or as otherwise necessary to enable the performance of advertising campaigns and the use of this remarketing in paid search feature. Microsoft is not responsible for any data loss, data breach, misuse of personal information or any other liability which may result from the relationships between advertisers and data providers.
Advertising personalization through the use of ad targeting settings on our platform helps you focus a campaign or ad group on potential audiences who meet specific criteria, so you can increase the chance that they see your ads. Personalization options can help maximize your ad's exposure to audiences who are likely to be interested in your products or services.
Advertising for housing, employment, and credit services may not utilize zip code, gender, or age targeting.