Microsoft Audience Network is an audience marketing solution where advertisers can manage their audience campaigns with their search campaigns or audience ads with their search ads. Powered by the Microsoft Graph and artificial intelligence (AI), Microsoft Audience Ads appear on the Microsoft Audience Network.
After reading this Study Guide on the Microsoft Audience Network search campaign and workflow, you will understand how to:
- Create cross-device ad placements that include premium sites like MSN, Microsoft Outlook, the browser Microsoft Edge and other partners.
- Measure your performance of Microsoft Audience Ads.
- Add Image Extensions to your search campaigns.
Microsoft Audience Ads
The Microsoft Audience Network uses consumer intent signals, which include search history, browse history, page content and demographic information. These signals, combined with artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities, provide highly relevant content to users and determine which ads to display. Microsoft Audience Ads offers high-quality placements and audience targeting – it helps you target audiences, rather than placements.
Create and optimise Microsoft Audience Ads
These ad placements are cross-device and include brand-safe, premium sites like MSN, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Edge, among others. Clicks on these ads will take users to the landing page you specified when you created your ads.
To create a new ad with audience ad format preferred, click Create ad from the Ads tab. Select Expanded text ad as the Ad type.
As you set the ad's title, text and URLs, keep in mind that this will be an audience ad, not a search ad. Audience ads work best with informative text rather than calls to action.
Select the Prefer audience ad format tick box. Click Save.
You can adjust bids to set your level of participation in Microsoft Audience Ads from the Campaigns or Ad Groups tab. Click on the name of the campaign or ad group you want to adjust. Click Settings. Under Advanced settings, click Audience ads.
Select Increase by if you want to invest more heavily in Microsoft Audience Ads for this campaign or ad group. You can adjust the bid up to 900% for maximum participation.
Select Decrease by if you want to invest less. To opt out of Microsoft Audience Ads completely, decrease your bid by 100%.
Learn more about Microsoft Audience Ads.
Microsoft Audience Ads search
For the first time, intent data from search can be used outside of search to create a powerful match between the user's intent and your offering. In addition to targeting keywords, the more targeting dimensions you select, the more impressions you can get with Microsoft Audience Ads.
AI and machine learning guide ad selection and relevancy matching, along with pricing, click and conversion prediction – and can help deliver ROI.
You can use target categories to home in on your target audience. The different targeting dimensions include: Age, Gender, Location, Device, Audience, Company, Job and Industry.
Think of the organisational structure like this:
1. User Intent Marketing
- In-market audiences
- Custom audiences
- Product audiences
2. User profile targeting
- LinkedIn profile targeting
- Age and gender targeting
3. Location and device
- Location targeting
- Device targeting
In addition to targeting keywords, the more targeting dimensions you select, the more impressions are available with Microsoft Audience Ads. You can combine targeting dimensions as follows:
- Multiple segments within each dimension are combined with an OR expression
- Multiple segments across different dimensions are combined with an AND expression
Add Image Extensions
Images play a key role in getting people's attention and driving clicks. You can define the imagery to use in your ads by associating Image Extensions to your campaign or ad group. If you don't have Image Extensions, our system may automatically use Image Annotations to increase the number of placements for your Microsoft Audience Ad. Image Annotations are licensed stock images that are editorially reviewed for quality and relevance and then matched with appropriate ads.
To set up Image Extensions, click Ad Extension
from the campaign page. Select Image
Extensions and the campaign or ad group. Click Create ad extension
Select an existing image from your saved Image Extension library
or upload a new image.
It is recommended that you upload the largest possible image. When you upload the image, it will automatically be cropped to the four preset aspect ratios for your use. If you don’t like how the smaller images are automatically cropped, you can re-crop them or replace them with other images that are the same size.
MSN (above image)
Microsoft Outlook (above image)
Microsoft Edge (above image)
Note: If advertising on Google Display Network, Facebook Audience Network or Yahoo Gemini, you can use the same creative assets you use on Microsoft Advertising online.
Remember the following tips:
- Images must be relevant to ad and landing page. We recommend using images that can be found on the ad’s landing page to ensure relevance.
- Text cannot be embedded in images.
- High-resolution images only – they should not pixelate or degrade across screens.
- Before submitting images, ensure images look OK in all aspect ratios after smart cropping. If needed, provide separate images for each aspect ratio.
- Provide multiple images for maximum placement and to avoid user fatigue.
If your campaign is missing any of the following aspect ratios, this may result in fewer placements and less traffic, so we highly recommend submitting images in all ratios.
It is easy to measure your performance for Microsoft Audience Ads. On the Reports
page, click the report that you want to run. For example, Campaign performance report. Under Choose your columns
, under Attributes
, you will find Ad distribution
- This column will show Search for clicks and impressions that occurred on a search results page.
- This column will show Audience for clicks and impression that are applied to Audience Ads.
Set up Universal Event Tracking (UET)
You can improve Microsoft Advertising' understanding of users' interests by having Universal Event Tracking (UET) tags on your website and setting up remarketing lists. This will allow us to target your ads to people who have previously visited or interacted with your website. Remember, setting up UET tags is the only way to track conversions.
about UET tags and remarketing lists.
Extending your search campaigns with Microsoft Audience Ads can help you reach audiences beyond search and get more high-quality clicks and conversions.
Remember these key points when considering your Microsoft Audience Ads options:
- Microsoft Audience Ads are unique because they are targeted to users based on our understanding of their interests via the Microsoft Graph and artificial intelligence.
- With search data capabilities used outside of search, Microsoft Audience Ads creates powerful matches between user intent and an ad's offering.
- With Microsoft Audience Ads, you can reach hundreds of millions of people through premium sites that are brand-safe, including MSN, Outlook, Edge browser and other partners.
Thanks for reading this Study Guide on the Microsoft Audience Network: Search campaign workflow. Continue studying
or take the Microsoft Advertising Certified Professional exam
to become certified.
Please note not all features in this Study Guide may be available in your market.