Microsoft Advertising Intelligence (MAI) is a powerful keyword research tool that allows customers to build and expand on their keyword lists using the Excel interface. BAI is all about efficient scaling and powerful keyword exploration. Because you are given access to so much Microsoft Advertising data, marketers can fine tune campaigns specifically for the Bing platform.
After reading this Study Guide, you will understand how to:
- Download the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool.
- Apply the keyword suggestion and keyword analysis features.
- Create customisable keyword research workflows.
- Download and leverage the integrated keyword research templates.
- Use Microsoft Advertising Intelligence for keyword expansions, web page analysis, traffic estimates and cross-border expansion.
Before you install the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool, be sure you have Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office and Microsoft Office Excel 2010 or newer installed and closed on your computer. Also, you must uninstall any previous versions of Microsoft Advertising add-in for Excel, or Microsoft Advertising Intelligence. Next, sign in to your Microsoft Advertising account and navigate to the Tools tab. Click the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence menu item to link to the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence download page. You can also navigate directly to bingads.com/BAI to download the Excel add-on. From here, you may select ‘Download now’ and follow the Install Wizard prompts.
Microsoft Advertising Intelligence (MAI) interface
After you install BAI, all of the options are available on the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tab on the Excel ribbon.
Sign in to your account to use the suggested keywords and bid estimates to improve your keyword selection and campaign performance. Each report appears on its tab in a table that makes it easy to sort, filter and zero in on the specific information you want.
With the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool, you can work with keyword lists of up to 200,000 generated words, easily filtering out adult/brand terms from your keyword expansion.
Bing Intelligence also takes you straight to the data story you want to see. To develop informed keyword strategies and optimise your keyword research and bid estimates, you should:
- Click Traffic for daily, weekly and monthly search query counts. Traffic is useful for spotting trends in search queries.
- Click Keyword Performance to view historical performance data for the specified keywords, including clicks, impressions and costs.
Under More Research, you may explore the following:
- Click Searches with Your Keyword to generate a list of search queries containing your keywords.
- Click Associated Keywords to generate new keywords based on other advertisers' bidding behaviour.
- Click Related Searches to create a list of search queries based on the Bing Related Search results. The related search terms are derived from the related searches list that appears on the left side of the Bing Search results screen.
- Click Keyword Categories to view a list of business categories for specified keywords.
- Click Search-User Location to generate a list of locations within a country, county/province or city with the most searches on specified keywords.
- Click Age Group & Gender to generate age group and gender percentages for the specified keywords over the last 30 days. Click Bid Estimation for New Keywords to research bid suggestions and estimated performance data for existing keywords.
Clicking Submit returns bid estimation data in a spreadsheet with the following columns:
- Estimated Min Bid
- Average Cost Per Click (CPC)
- Estimated Min Impressions
Keyword Expansions & Web page research
Find Keyword Expansions under More Research. Type in the keyword: ‘3d design software’ and compare Google’s list to Microsoft Advertising’ Intelligence list of 50 keyword suggestions.
Find Web page Keywords under More Research to analyse the keywords on your landing page. Not only does Bing Intelligence uncover new keywords, but it returns keywords from the page based on a crawl of the page.
Similarly, you can use the Web Page Keywords function to run the landing pages through Microsoft Advertising Intelligence to ask yourself:
- Do web page keywords match your keywords?
- Are they tightly themed?
Traffic estimates & Keyword suggestions
The Traffic function shows number of searches and can segment by device and time period.
The Keyword suggestions function filters by match type, impressions, clicks, CTR, CPC and estimated spend.
Keyword Research Templates
These are pre-generated keyword research ideas in the form of dashboard spreadsheets.
Accessing these templates is easy. Click on the Keyword Research Templates button to open the Template panel. Scroll to the desired template and click to open.
Most templates contain instructions, but, in general, they are easy to use. You enter information into highlighted cells and click on the Refresh All button.
Templates are powerful and flexible. You can extend existing templates with additional Microsoft Advertising Intelligence and Excel features, or create custom templates based on your own unique workflow. Templates can be saved and shared with colleagues, or even shared with the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence user community. To submit custom templates, email email@example.com.
Create a template
Microsoft Advertising Intelligence lets you choose where to display results in your workbooks. In addition, you can manipulate data with favourite Excel features, like pivot tables, filters, sorts and graphs.
Let’s say you want to create a list of Generated Keywords from the seed keyword, ‘digital camera’. From the Generated Keyword column, select the keywords to return data. Click Traffic to open the dialogue box. Choose Existing Worksheet, and select the cell where the returned traffic data should be placed. In this example, we chose D6.
Click Submit, and the Traffic data is inserted at the cell location selected, D6.
You can save this workflow and use it again later. If you need traffic data for a different keyword, simply select a new range of keywords and click Refresh All in the ribbon.
Watch a video on how to use BAI for keyword research, expansion, pricing and key performance indicator data.
Creating bulksheets & using cross-border expansion
You can make Microsoft Advertising uploads easier by creating bulksheets. Simply select keywords in Excel and set match type & bids. Select campaign & ad group and upload to Microsoft Advertising using the UI or Microsoft Advertising Editor.
You can also use BAI to conduct cross-border research by populating the Country/region and Language boxes.
Learn more about Microsoft Advertising Intelligence in this video demo.
Microsoft Advertising Intelligence is a powerful keyword research tool that helps you build, expand and optimise suggested keyword lists and bid estimates using familiar Excel.
Microsoft Advertising Intelligence helps you:
- Build lists of up to 200,000 generated keyword lists.
- Build separate reports that allow you to zero in on the information you want.
- Create original keyword research templates that let you analyse data for your business.
- Discover bid estimation data in a simple Excel spreadsheet.
- Optimise your campaigns with keyword expansions, web page analysis, traffic estimates and cross-border expansion.
The Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool is free to download.
Thanks for reading this Study Guide on the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence Tool. Continue studying or take the Microsoft Advertising Certified Professional exam to become certified.